Monday, August 17, 2009

Moist Honey Cake


Upon revisiting a series of books I have not read since I was much younger, that of brian Jacques' Redwall, I decided to take the book of talking animal adventures to a new level.

One of the most popular aspects of the the colourfully written childrens' books has been the incredible feasts Brian Jacques -- who is actually a cook himself -- creates for different festivities and occasions for his characters. The magnifacent choices of European foods, mainly English and Scottish, could make anyone's stomach grumble.
So when I began looking at the books a second time, I began to enjoy the feasts in a completely different light - wondering what I could cook.
First thing that jumped out at me was the commonly said "honey cakes". I consequently googled honey cakes and saw many recipes available, but decided on a slightly more complex one which would more fit the idea I had in mind.

This is actually a Jewish recipe, and as I have a great attraction to Jewish recipes -- I actually have an old book on them, if that doesn't sound too random -- I decided I definitely wanted to choose this one as my first Redwall endeavour.

What I love about this recipe so much is that it has three additions to its compelx blend which you can barely identify in the flavour of the result. You would never guess.
Brewed coffee. Whisky. Orange juice.
Alright, if you guessed those, I'll just go hide somewhere.

I had read it in the webpage which held this recipe that the cake falls, and even after I saw the picture of them, I thought, "Okay, I can follow."



But when the baking timer went off and I looked at my three honey cakes I was still shocked out of my stockings. My memory short-circuited and thought I had failed the huge batter. It then clicked that it was supposed to do that.

So , just remember that they are meant to fall, and oh, when they are finished...wow.
Delicious, soft slices, each with a lovely thin crispy crust.
Freezes very well.

I served this for my Redwall Breakfast celebrating the 1st of August, but it is also great for morning tea, afternoon tea or dessert. Ensure you serve it with a cup of hot tea or coffee, and with a dollop of Meadow Cream, the famous Redwall cream-honey-and-butter topping that the little characters eat with more than half of their banquet food, Meadow Cream goes with anything!



********************************************
Moist Honey Cake

Adapated from Marcy Goldman’s Treasure of Jewish Holiday Baking
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup honey
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 large eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup warm coffee or strong tea
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup rye or whiskey
1/2 cup slivered or sliced almonds (optional)

Fits in three loaf pans, two 9-inch square or round cake pans, one 9 or 10 inch tube or bundt cake pan, or one 9 by 13 inch sheet cake. I made mine in two full-size loaf pans plus two miniature ones.

Preheat oven to 350°F. Generously grease pan(s) with non-stick cooking spray. For tube or angel food pans, line the bottom with lightly greased parchment paper, cut to fit.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and allspice. Make a well in the center, and add oil, honey, white sugar, brown sugars, eggs, vanilla, coffee or tea, orange juice and rye or whiskey, if using. (If you measure your oil before the honey, it will be easier to get all of the honey out.)
Using a strong wire whisk or in an electric mixer on slow speed, stir together well to make a thick, well-blended batter, making sure that no ingredients are stuck to the bottom.
Spoon batter into prepared pan(s). Sprinkle top of cake(s) evenly with almonds, if using. Place cake pan(s) on two baking sheets, stacked together (this will ensure the cakes bake properly with the bottom baking faster than the cake interior and top).
Bake until cake tests done, that is, it springs back when you gently touch the cake center. For angel and tube cake pans, this will take 60 to 75 minutes, loaf cakes, about 45 to 55 minutes. For sheet style cakes, baking time is 40 to 45 minutes.
Let cake stand fifteen minutes before removing from pan.

No comments:

Post a Comment