Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Pumpkin Mousse Pie


We had a some friends, the Pendraks (great name - reminds me of Pendragon, Arthur of Camelot's father), coming around for a visit and I was really into mastering pie-making.
Well, master pie crust-making, that is. It's far from easy.

We had that canned pumpkin ....stuff.... in the cellar and I really didn't want to have to wait till Thanksgiving to make a pumpkin dessert. (if you didn't know, I'm a huge fan of pumpkin pie)

So I decided to make a pumpkin turtle pie, which I had seen repeatedly in food magazines at various appointment offices and market centres. When the day-before-the-big-day came, I looked at the method of the pumpkin turtle pie, and suddenly felt exhausted. It was a good deal of work, having to homemake the caramel ice cream topping and all.
Ugh.
Problem was that I really wanted to do a chocolate cream pie, but I was dying to try this new fudge brownie recipe I had, so I needed to pair it with something non-chocolate.
Pumpkin was good.

I wanted an easy pumpkin dessert, but not as plain as the all-American pumpkin pie.
I looked up pumpkin pie, and then tried 'advanced pumpkin pie' or 'incredible pumpkin pie'. No luck. Recalling making a chocolate hazlenut mousse pie with a dark chocolate glaze for my friends the Reitzigs when we went to their home, I wondered if a pumpkin mousse pie existed.
Well, the result is obvious, otherwise this recipe would be about something else, eh?


The method for the recipe was pretty advanced, but as many of the recipe comments stated, the crust was to die for. Look at it in the photo; cocao powder with cinnamon and nutmeg.

I guess that was the trap, for I only realise now that the pumpking turtle pie would have been way easier! Maybe I'm stupid that way.

Anyway, it definitely worked out, I refrigerated the mousse pie overnight and served it the day after along with the best brownie recipe ever written. (If you disagree, send me your better one, I dare you.)

The flavour was not too sweet, but lovely smooth, and the crust was just so good. I would reuse the crust for other recipes.
Overall, I find that the recipe was too complex and time consuming to pay off, and would definitely go for a much simpler mousse filling. But hey, it was on Martha Stewart's website, and since she's so frank and among my favourite tv chefs, I just went along. Besides, presentation is was such a winner with this one.




***********************************************


PUMPKIN MOUSSE PIE
Serves 8 to 10

Ingredients

9 ounces graham crackers
3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 tablespoons Dutch-process cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus 1 tablespoon for dusting
1/4 teaspoon plus a pinch ground nutmeg
12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
1/4 cup brandy
2 tablespoons unflavored powdered gelatin
3 large eggs, room temperature
1 1/2 cups homemade Pumpkin Puree, or canned
1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sour cream
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Directions

Heat oven to 325 degrees. In a food processor, combine graham crackers, 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, cocoa powder, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and pinch nutmeg; process until finely ground. Transfer to a medium bowl; mix in butter with a wooden spoon. Press mixture onto bottom and sides of a 10-inch tart pan. Bake until set, 12 to 15 minutes. Set crust aside to cool.

In a small bowl, place brandy and 2 tablespoons water. Sprinkle gelatin powder over liquid; set aside to soften, 10 minutes. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat eggs on medium-low speed until fluffy. While the mixer is running, combine remaining 3/4 cup sugar and 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until temperature registers 245 degrees (firm-ball stage) on a candy thermometer, about 5 minutes. Immediately turn mixer to high speed. Carefully drizzle sugar mixture into eggs in a thin stream; continue to beat until mixture increases in volume and is pale yellow, about 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place bowl with softened gelatin over a saucepan of simmering water; stir until gelatin has dissolved.
Turn mixer to low; add gelatin mixture to egg mixture. Add pumpkin puree, remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, the allspice, ginger, salt, and sour cream; combine. Pour filling into pie crust; refrigerate until set, 4 hours or overnight.

To serve, whisk heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, and vanilla in a medium bowl until stiff.
Using an Ateco #864 star tip, pipe whipped cream in rosettes onto pie (or spread the whipped cream evenly over the top of the pie with a spatula). Sift remaining tablespoon cinnamon on top. Serve chilled.



No comments:

Post a Comment