Thursday, January 28, 2010

Indian Tomato Soup and Chapati Breads



A warm and soothing supper, very light and completely healthy!
Perfect for a cold winter night, as it was tonight for us!

If you weren't previously aware, I'm really into wholesome and healthy eating; it's such a better way to live. Sure you can consume sugars and all, but it's just kept to a minimum. Life is good this way, full of colour and flavour, and free of guilt, that extra midrift padding and you're simply chipper!
Ahem... anyway! Moving on!

The tomato soup is nice and light, no cream or anything, just good tomato flavour.
The chapati is usually half-white half-wholewheat flours, but I just replaced both with white whole wheat. Haha!

The way I organise it is I make the chapati dough, and when it is setting (it takes 30-45 minutes), I make the soup. When the soup is finished simmering, I fry up the bread as I blend up the soup.

CHAPATI BREAD

Ingredients

1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour *
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
3/4 cup hot water or as needed


METHOD

1. In a large bowl, stir together the whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour and salt. Use a wooden spoon to stir in the olive oil and enough water to make a soft dough that is elastic but not sticky. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until it is smooth. Divide into 10 parts, or less if you want bigger breads. Roll each piece into a ball. Let rest for 30-45 minutes. (This is when I make the soup; then set it on the simmer. I fry the bread when the soup is ready.)

2. Heat a skillet over medium heat until hot, and grease lightly. On a lightly floured surface, use a floured rolling pin to roll out the balls of dough until very thin like a tortilla. When the pan starts smoking, put a chapati on it. Cook until the underside has brown spots, about 30 seconds, then flip and cook on the other side. Continue with remaining dough.


INDIAN TOMATO SOUP

Ingredients:

1 1/2 lbs. of ripe tomatoes remove seeds, peeled and chopped*
2 tbsp of Olive Oil
1 Onion chopped
1 Clove of garlic crushed
1 Small red pepper chopped (optional)
4 Cups of chicken or vegetable stock
2 oz of tomato paste
1/4 cup of Basil

*I used a 28 oz. can of diced tomato


METHOD

Heat the oil in a heavy pan, cook the onion, garlic and red pepper till soft.
Add the tomato and cook another 10 minutes.
Add the tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste.
Cover and let simmer for 15 minutes.
Allow to cool slightly and put the mixture in a blender until it is smooth.
Return to the pan and heat gradually.
Add the fresh basil to the tomato soup, cook 2 minutes and serve.

Enjoy together, yum yum!

1 comment:

  1. Both of those look delicious. I made Chapatis (well, they were supposed to be tortillas, but were closer to chapatis) about a week ago. We ate ours with tortilla soup (creative, huh?).
    I'm into whole foods as well. So much better for you, and often cheaper as well.

    I'm not some complete weirdo, btw, I found your blog through Apricotpie. My older sister and brother love to cook gourmet food... me, I don't care how it looks as long as it tastes good and there's enough of it to fill me up! I love cooking as well, but like baking breads better.

    ReplyDelete